Students‎ > ‎Examinations‎ > ‎

Frequently Asked Questions

Why do I need to check the details on the Statement of Entry? The details on your Statement of Entry will be used when certificates are printed. If the name or date of birth on your certificates does not match your birth certificate it may cause you problems if you are asked to show your certificates to a potential Employer or College/University in the future. You should also check that the entry is correct and that no subjects are missing.

What do I do if there is a clash on my timetable? Candidates will normally sit both papers one after the other. If the clash requires us to move the examination to a different session you will be informed by letter. If you are unsure, please contact the Examinations Officer.

Do I need to remember my candidate number? Your name and candidate number will be on a coloured piece of card for each of your examinations. Please do not deface or draw on the cards as they are used for examinations later on in the session.

Do I need to remember the centre number? The centre number is: 16215 and is displayed on the white boards at the front of the examination venue.

What do I do if I think I have the wrong paper? If you think that something is wrong put your hand up and tell the invigilator immediately. The invigilator will check with the seating plan, the attendance register and the Examinations Officer.

How do I know how long the exam is? The length of the examination is shown in minutes on your individual timetable under the heading length. The length of the examination is also printed on the front of the exam paper. Invigilators will tell you when to start and finish the examination. Start and finish times will be displayed at the front of the examination venue on white boards. There will be a minimum of three large clocks in the larger examination venues.

What do I do if I have an accident before the examination? Inform the Examinations Officer as soon as possible. We will advise you of what you need to do next. In cases of an accident that results in you being unable to write it may be possible to provide you with a scribe to write your answers. You will need to obtain medical evidence from your doctors or the hospital.

What do I do if I am ill before the examination? If you are unwell on the day of the examination and cannot attend the examination you will need to make an appointment with the doctors. You will need to download a self certification form here and take it to the doctors with you, this form will need to be completed by the doctor/nurse and stamped with the practice stamp, return this to the Academy and we will forward any necessary paperwork to the appropriate awarding bodies.

What do I do if I feel unwell during an examination? You should inform an invigilator if you feel unwell before the examination or during the examination by putting your hand up. The invigilator will assist you.

If I miss an examination can I take it on another day? Timetables are regulated by the Examination Boards and you must attend on the given date and time. Examinations can not be re-scheduled to a different day.

Can I go to the toilet during an examination? If it is absolutely necessary or you have a medical condition, you will be escorted to the toilet by an invigilator who will remain with you until you return to the examination venue.

What do I need to bring with me on the day of an examination?

  • Black pens (at least two)
  • Ruler
  • Pencil
  • Rubber
  • Geometry set
  • Calculator
  • All contained in a clear plastic bag or pencil case

What do I do if my pen runs out or I forget to bring a ruler? Tell an invigilator, we do not keep a large supply of equipment but in an emergency we can usually lend you some equipment.

Can I bring a drink with me? A bottle of water is permitted please remove the labels from the bottle.

What items are not allowed in the examination venue?

  • Bags and coats
  • Mobile phones or electronic communication devices
  • Ipods MP3/MP4 players
  • Any instruments which can capture a digital image
  • Reading pens
  • Revision notes, guides and books
  • Calculator lids or calculator instruction leaflets
  • Fizzy drinks or squash
  • Food

Why can’t I bring my mobile telephone into the examination venue? Being in possession of a mobile phone or any other electronic communication device is regarded as cheating by the Examination Boards. We are required to report any incidents of malpractice to the Examination Board.

What is the dress code when taking my exams? Years 9, 10 and 11 students are expected to wear the Academy uniform. The sixth form dress code should adhered to for Years 12 and 13. Candidates will be sent home to change if they are dressed inappropriately for examinations.

Can I leave once I have finished my examination? It is a requirement of the Examination Boards that you must stay in the examination venue for at least one hour after the published start time of the examination (or the duration of the examination if it is less than one hour). It is Academy policy that all students remain in the examination venue for the full duration of the examination. A candidate may not leave the examination venue without the permission of the invigilator.

What happens if I arrive late for the start of my examination? Inform the Examinations Office that you are running late. Once you arrive at the Academy report to the Examinations Office. A member of staff will then escort you to the examination venue and get you started. If you arrive 1 hour after the start time we will be required to submit a very late arrival form to the Examination Board, it will then be up to the Examination Board to decide whether or not they accept the reason for your lateness and mark your paper.

What is a controlled assessment? Controlled assessments have replaced the coursework element of GCSEs. The assessments will usually take place during lessons.

What can I do if I don’t agree with my portfolio mark? At Greensward Academy there is an internal appeals procedure click here for further information