Students‎ > ‎Sports Department‎ > ‎

Senior Netball

posted 6 Aug 2013, 04:51 by   [ updated 6 Aug 2013, 04:51 ]

On Saturday 6 October the Senior Girls netball team competed in the Pre County Netball Competition held at Fitzwimarc. It was an early start but we were hopeful that we could get through to the next round. After convincing wins against Deanes 16-7 and Fitzwimarc 12-2 we gained confidence but knew we still had our hardest game to play. This was against Southend High for Girls which ended with yet another win 11-6 and was followed by their final two wins; which came from games against Westcliff High for Girls 18-4 and King John 11-0. We were really excited to have gone through to the next round which is the county tournament on 18 November.  The whole team played really well and we are hoping for another good result in November.

Under 14 Netball

Congratulations to the Under 14 netball team who also won their group at the Pre County Netball competition on Saturday 6 October at Fitzwimarc.  The girls had a tough challenge to play 6 matches to secure a top four place to go through to the next round at New Hall School on 18 November.  After a successful start to the season in the league, the girls won all of their matches, winning against Fitzwimarc 7-3, Deanes 19-2,Southend High School for Girls 13-4, St Bernards 15-0, Westcliff High School for Girls 16-5 and the surprising win against King John, winning convincingly 23-4. The girls have been training very hard during the mornings and after school, and it is their dedication and hard work that has enabled them to play some superb netball. They are looking forward to the next round and would welcome any support on the day.  We wish them all lots of luck. 

Year 9 Boys’ Rugby

On Wednesday evening our Year 9 boys played in their last Essex Cup Group game against Trinity School and needed a win to guarantee a place in the quarter finals of the competition.  Even after a good performance the boys found themselves 7-0 down at half time.  They came out for the second half focused and determined and after five minutes Jonny Occleshaw managed to score a try to make the score 7-5 to Trinity.  Unfortunately a very tough conversion was missed and the score remained the same.  The boys did not give up and kept the pressure on eventually being rewarded as the Trinity defence gave away a penalty 25 metres out but right in front of the posts.  Will Argent was cool headed and under extreme pressure slotted the penalty to make the score 8-7 to Greensward.  The boys remained calm and controlled the game for the last 8 minutes and eventually won, securing their much wanted quarter final place.